CoinPeople.com

Latest UK £2 commemorative

Ian

Here's a brace of the latest £2 coins to be set loose into circulation in the UK. To my mind it is the best designed commemorative coin to have been issued here for many a year.

I thought they'd done a Gunpowder Plot one for 2005?

Right, that was the first £2 coin issued this year. The new one does indeed show St. Paul's Cathedral. And the idea of the two rays forming a V sign sure is good. I have both coins (not from circulation though ...) and I like the WW2/Peace coin better too.

Christian

I thought they'd done a Gunpowder Plot one for 2005?

St. Paul's on a blitz night now is it?

Yes, they have released both. Still looking for the Specimen folders of both of these to come down some in the secondary market, hopefully it will be soon. But it seems that since the change to the bi-metallic £2 back in 1997, the Specimen folders seem to be somewhat uncommon, and hard to find at a bargain price. Even the recent 50p and £1 folders are difficult to locate, unless you want to pay outrageous prices to some of the eBay hucksters. But I am still looking, and have patience (and other collecting interests I can focus on), so I will continue to watch for the occasional bargain and then I will strike!!

Right, that was the first £2 coin issued this year. The new one does indeed show St. Paul's Cathedral. And the idea of the two rays forming a V sign sure is good. I have both coins (not from circulation though ...) and I like the WW2/Peace coin better too.

Christian

I agree with you as to the clever use of the search lights to form the `V' for victory.

I too like the £2 coin with the dove design. These pre bi-metallic slugs of brass actually did see circulation, but not very successfully. They were just too big and heavy for most people. Now the silver proof of that coin is really beautiful, but non circulating coins aren't everyone's idea of `coins'. :ninja:

Archived