CoinPeople.com

Coin storage and display question...

Sgt Stavka

Hello,

I was wondering what the best manner for storing coins?

Full disclosure:

1) They are only common Russian/Soviet coins from 1840-1990, nothing too valuable.

2) They are used to provide a civilian context to military history exhibits.

3) They need to be photographed for a historical website before they are put in storage, but will be used in public historical exhibitions from time to time.

Now, I am going to ask the dreaded question - since they are common, should I gently clean them before putting them in whatever protective media that you all recommend?

Thank you for any help

Depending on the number of coins you need to store. Airtites are nice plastic devices that hold one coin. The obverse and reverse are fully visible and the coin is protected from fingers, spills, etc. You can even attach labels to them or write on the.

That sounds like a good idea.

I have maybe a few dozen coins in total, a very small collection compared to many here. I primarily focus on military items, but I intend to gain more coins of different types from the 19th century to more fully showcase the feel of the era.

Where do you stand on the idea of cleaning them (just this one time) and putting them in the airtite container?

Normally I would not clean a coin. If you want them for historical display and they are common coins where the value is not significant - then it should suit your purposes to clean them gently -- do it.

Thank you for your opinion.

With most of the eBay copper kopeks its easy to see they are not terribly valuable, but I will double check all of them before doing anything to be sure.

That is why I am glad I joined this forum so I can better understand the value and preservation of what I am getting into (the hobby looked deceptively simple from the outside...)

The only thing I would add so far as cleaning goes is be as absolutely gentle as possible - nothing even remotely abrasive. I'd start with nothing more than water (preferably distilled as tap water will have whatever chemicals your local water plant introduces, plus whatever native minerals are in your local water supply) and a very soft cloth, wielded delicately.

Any coin with any enhanced value I'd say should not be cleaned at all.

I definitely agree with the "don't clean coins" mentality... But I will say that sometimes you can't avoid needing to. I have lots of WWII Era steel, zinc and aluminum coins that have rusted or corroded over the years. They are intrinsically worthless in that state and there isn't much in the way of solvents to clean aluminum or zinc oxides off coins. So... Out comes to jewelers brush. It's an ultra fine, oiled brass brush. It's so soft it feels like cotton. It's abrasive, and will definitely leave hairline, but it will remove the unstable surface of the coin and leave you with a reasonable looking piece. Never, and I repeat never do that with anything of value... Because that's how you remove value not just dirt. Mild solvents are the best... Olive oil, watered down soap, or more risky ones like watered down acetone or jewelers pickle.