CoinPeople.com

Recent-dated USA $1s in circulation?

mgk920

A couple of days ago, I received a moderately circulated 2013-D Sac $1 (the one with the 'TREATY WITH THE DELAWARES 1778' design on the back) in payment from a customer at work. $1 coins are fairly common here in NE Wisconsin due to the numerous workplace breakroom vending machines, among other places, that use them. About ten years or so ago I observed that the USMint appeared to be disposing of unsold inventory of collector-issue business strike coins (ie, rolls, 'short' mint bags, etc) by placing the coins into circulation, this due to the large number of ultra-low mintage mid-00s $1s that I had been finding in circulation in the area at that time.

Is this a reasonable assumption regarding this recent-dated Sac?

BTW, I like the design on this coin.

[rantmode]
JUST PLEASE PLACE THE DATE/MINTMARK BACK ON A FLAT SIDE! OK? Thanx!

:yes:

[/rantmode]

Mike

Could be the mint Mike or maybe a collector in the area who keeps what they need and then dumps the rest. Glad to hear the dollar coins are circulating there. I don't think I've ever seen one in change here - other than those that I spend and at coin club meetings and such.

Yea, according to the USMint's website, 1.82M 2013-D Sac $1s were struck.

Poking around as much as I can on their site, it and the 'P' (also 1.82M) appear to have the lowest production totals of any business strike varieties of USA small $1s (1979 and later). Most of the Sacs from 2012-later appear to be in the 2-3M each range.

:shock:

Mike