CoinPeople.com

Here a strange one

I am not a CWT collector have never seen anything like this one. about the size of a quarter, appears to be heavily blackened brass, Hand stamped lettering and date!

FullSizeRender%20105.jpg

FullSizeRender%20148.jpg

You do find the strangest things in bulk trades:)

Well some more info the guy I got it from said it is a matron large cent, It is copper I dipped it since it is what it is. He also said that part of the word liberty was between the N and 6 even with my digital microscope the only thing I can see between the two is space ;)

Completely uneducated guess but seeing how utilitarian it looks, I bet it's a tag to gear. Think of an old fashioned luggage tag. Maybe Lee's HQ's tent was packed up, they placed a tag on it, and the tag broke off in transit.

Here is what was the conclusion on the Civil war talk forum was I had the same concerns about the lettering stamps. Since it was something that was an add on with no additional charge to the swap either way it is no big deal.

The impression of the item is that it is a modern fake/reproduction/curio collector piece....

Very rare that you see anything of the period stamped with "CSA", and/or a correlating war time date such as this... "Gen Lee" rather than more frequently used "R.E. Lee".... These are common traits with folks trying to peddle off something that it isnt... It may very well be on a period coin.. That's part of the ruse... and attempt to imply validity to the item since the coin is old..... ID coins and tokens were more frequently found engraved, not metal stamped...(post war veteran ladder badges are something different) The font stampings used on this are of a modern pattern.. not one that was of typical use in that period... The shanks of period die stamps were normally squared... You can see the oval impression on several of the letters here that were deeply impressed... that's a modern type.. Also note that the stamped depression areas completely lack any pitting, corrosion and ground action like the rest of the coin displays... which confirms it was added onto it much much later.. I would pass on that item...