CoinPeople.com

A new way to deter counterfeits?

gxseries

I've read this interesting article from Japan and I can't imagine why this cannot be used to fight against counterfeits.

In particular, the highlight of this new technology is this:

" Although mass-produced products look smooth and identical to the naked eye, they are different under the microscope because even items cast from the same molds bear unique surface patterns. "

Unlike the previous way of identifying slabbed coins by barcode number which can be easily duplicated and then counterfeit coins can be placed duplicated barcode numbered slabs - this completely eliminates a lot of problems.

The article can be seen here: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/06/07/business/tech/nec-develops-way-id-everyday-objects/#.VXYvJFIZaFn

What do you think?

I think it has great potential for coins over a certain value level. We already know that each coin has a number of characteristics that can set it apart from all others. A means to catalog and monitor those minute differences would be most helpful.

This looks more useful for the grading services to identify counterfeits but probably not average Joes like us. Too much variability (know-how) involved.