CoinPeople.com

Strange inheritance - can't find another online like it

Webcazadora

I took the following coin to my local Numismatist and they could not identify it. This was part of a meager inheritance but it was separated and stored as if it had a lot of meaning to my relative. Exhaustive searches lead me to believe that it is a coin with Antoninus Pius on the front and possibly Roma or Brittania on the back? I'm trying to determine if there is a need to insure. Thank you for any input that you can give! I'm feeling a bit of overwhelmed by this.

coinfront (450x800).jpg

coinback (450x800).jpg

Hello and welcome to CoinPeople. Hopefully someone will be along shortly with some helpful info for you.

• 2 months later...

hi @Webcazadora,

With Roman bronze, please specify size and weight.

"possibly Roma or Brittania on the back?"

The reverse is Roma seated, with Victory on hand. It symbolizes the military supremacy ("Victory") of the city of Rome.

I read (ANTO)NINVS AVG PI - VS PP which is a common title of (indeed) the emperor Antoninus Pius, reign 135-160..

"I took the following coin to my local Numismatist and they could not identify it."

That does not surprise me. I don't think your coin can be identified exactly. There's supposed to be a reverse inscription on this coin, identifying the year of coinage (e.g. TRP XXI), like this one..(second coin in that list)

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/lets-see-some-pius.235155/

Nice coin, though ! You found it ? Congrats when so.. :bthumbsup: