CoinPeople.com

Variants of the 1713 kopeck - no mintmark

alexbq2

As per my usual M.O., I mostly pay attention to the coins at hand. And I found something new, to me.

I've had this coin for quite some time. An interesting coin with the incuse 'Ц' on the right hind leg of the horse. Not sure what that's all about, but we all know about this one.

1)

994125.jpg

Note that this coin has ornaments around the KO and an ornament above on the reverse, as well as 3 x's at the end of the inscription on the obverse.

There are of course other variants of this coin without the 'Ц', but they have other ornamental combinations:

2) This one has the 3 x's, but no ornaments on the reverse

1_4fb0e9ad60517.jpg

2_4fb0e9ad61e2f.jpg

3) This one 2 x's and but has the reverse ornaments

1_5236030d1353c.jpg

Getting to the point, I have recently found a coin without 'Ц', but with all the ornaments of the first coin:

4)

1030014.jpg

I do not believe it is listed in Bitkin or the Konros base catalog. Adrianov does include this combination, but does not find it significant. I'm not sure that M-DV.ru has images of this one either.

I like it. Yusupov lists it as well (before Adreanov) but not as anything special. However, I think any coin with additional ornaments is always more desirable among collectors, when they choose a coins from a similar rarity... Particularly when a coin is with an interesting mark made by history, that makes it unique.

Here is another one I have, with some mark on a horse. 2 kopecks 1763.

post-27191-0-51432000-1378900718_thumb.j

What is the difference between the last coin you have shown and the one on pic 3 in Yusupov? Please tell me, I can not see any. Not that I am deep into collecting Peter I coins, but I simply don't see the difference in elements, they seam to be the same...

What is the difference between the last coin you have shown and the one on pic 3 in Yusupov? Please tell me, I can not see any. Not that I am deep into collecting Peter I coins, but I simply don't see the difference in elements, they seam to be the same...

Look at the coin below, it has the 'Ц' mark on the hind leg of the horse. And the coins with this arrangement of ornaments usually have that mark. I believe I see the mark in the Yusupov scan as well. But there is a coin with the same ornaments and without the 'Ц' mark. It might be scarcer than the one with the mark (not sure), but it is not described in Bitkin, and I am guessing that it is missing from VKGM.

1_5220a7d13386b.jpg

As you know, only plates were assembled by Gil', there was no description left for this year. The plates have a few coins of the variety without mint letters. Two of them have the marks that you discovered.

1713 kopecks with mark vkgm.jpg

Now you need to figure out which variety you have. :)

As you know, only plates were assembled by Gil', there was no description left for this year. The plates have a few coins of the variety without mint letters. Two of them have the marks that you discovered.

attachicon.gif1713 kopecks with mark vkgm.jpg

Now you need to figure out which variety you have. :)

As you can see both of the coins in your scan have the mark the 'Ц'.

Yes, I only presented ones with the mark. There are a lot more examples with no mint letter, but with 3 stars, a funny looking mark above "KO" and with decorations to the sides of "KO" that have no marks. But these two are with "Ц" mark, and they must be different in some way... only one of them is alike your coin. VKGM was going to describe 2 varieties, but no description was given to the later years of Peter's role, as the second volume never was concluded and published, and I frankly don't see the difference. Could it be the edge, we can only speculate, or can you see any other differences? If Bitkin didn't describe "Ц" marked coins as a variety, he didn't realise the mark was there and has down-sized the list of coins from VKGM plates in his catalog. That's why I find VKGM - one of the main sources of info, apart from specialized catalogs, particularly in these years that miss description.