CoinPeople.com

New WWII 60th Anniversary £2 Coins

Johnny 1989

EDIT:- I do apologise, I didn't see the UK coins forum below. I have re posted that there instead.

Hi I'm new here so I'm not sure how many people on here are from the UK but here goes...

As you may have seen the New WWII 60th Anniversary coins have been released into circulation since the beginning of September. I recieved a few of these which seem to be coming up in two colours.

What I mean by this is the "gold" coloured part of the Bi-Metalical coins. Some are very light "gold" (looking almost "silver" coloured in some lights) & some a darker "gold".

However this on particular one I had recieved seem to had some of this darker "gold" missing showing "silver" underneath instead. I also noticed this in the message ingraved round the rim.

This seems to be the only oen I have recieved (in either shade of "gold") that seems to have been "Plated" if you will.

Just wondering if there is an issue with these £2 coins at all

Thanks in advance as I say I don't know how many people on here are from the UK so not sure if anyone on here can help

Any help appriciated

Regards

Johnny

Hmm now this is interesting.

Can you post pictures of these two to show the differences?

I know what you mean about the differences in the colour i've seen this myself. This is not unusual, it's often due to oxidisation more than anything, the 'gold' colour gets darker over time based upon exposure with the air.

However the fact that you state that the brass colour is flaking off suggests one of three things;

Firstly it could be a forgery, secondly the mint have changed something (unlikely) or thirdly it's an escaped silver proof collector's edition.

The silver ones are full silver rather than bi-metal and have the outer brass bit plated with gold. It wouldn't surprise me if a silver one did escape this could happen very easily. Also on the silver proofs the gold edge is alot lighter than the brass. This is why i need the picture! I can most likely tell you if it's silver or not from the pic. As silver is much whiter whilst the cupro-nickel of the usual is a steel grey.

Wow didn't expect a reply so quick so I have re-edited the first post :ninja:

Unfortunately I can't get a picture up until Next month when I finally get a scanner.

I did at first think it was a forgery but have never heard of fake £2 coins before.

I think it will help if I do post a picture but unfortunately can't do that for a few weeks. I do have three of these (one lighter colour, one darker colour & the suspicious looking one) so I'll scan all three at the same time when done.

Thanks for the quick reply

If the details on it look fuzzy and not as 'sharp' as the others then it's probably a fake. But with these things it's best to keep an open mind.

And don't worry about posting it here, this is the general forum so it's not eaxctly wrong. :ninja: (plus the managment will move it at some point, it's only a 2 minute job, if that) It only takes a click...

Once you do get the picture up we can probably tell you what it is pretty quickly. If it's not me then, Emperor Oli or another resident Brit will be on the case for you.

Archived