CoinPeople.com

1812 Napoleonic "Entry to Moscow" medal.

Hi

from the edge mark (cornucopia) it was minted AFTER 1880.

Thanks for reply. To my mind it was minted no later then 1880 because between 1845-80 bronze medals were stamped "CUIVRE". In any way what will be optimal cost for such items? Is it historical material or only souvenirs ?

Thanks for reply. To my mind it was minted no later then 1880 because between 1845-80 bronze medals were stamped "CUIVRE". In any way what will be optimal cost for such items? Is it historical material or only souvenirs ?

It is a re-strike of the original, minted by the Paris mint for collectors. There are a couple of corrosion spots (verdigris marks) on the reverse and a fingerprint on both obverse and reverse otherwise it is in collectable condition. I've seen these re-strikes sell for anything from 20 - 60 euro...However, you might be lucky and get more but given the presence of verdigris, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Nice medal, but i have no expertise in relation to that particular subject matter.

As a beginner collector of Napoleonic medals / exonumia you would benefit from a visit to this site to gain insight as to the `scope' involved:

http://www.napoleonicmedals.org

In terms of what /where to buy...the golden rule in collecting coins /medals /jetons is `buy the book before you buy the coin'. Knowledge is king and the more you research your chosen subject area, the better prepared you will be to spot a bargain when the opportunity presents. \other than that...keep your eyes peeled on ebay and try searching using various different relevant words within coins/ medals.

happy hunting!

Hi,and a happy New Year to you.

Your one is clearly the `main indicatrice' edge mark. No arguements there....and indeed quite likely to match that of the original.

The image on the original is not particularly clear and i've seen so many `corne d'abondance' marks that look so similar to it that it registered with me as that mark.

Here's a close up of a strong example of the cornucopia `poincon'

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Diff%C3%A9rent_numismatique_corne_abondance.jpg

Thanks friends for this discussion. But it seems to me that constantius is rights here.

Paris Mint in 1843 till 1880 , bronze medals were stamped CUIVRE on the edge.

In 1880, BRONZE was substituted for CUIVRE.

The mark "pointing hand"-used from 1845 to 1860.

The mark "cornucopia"-used from 1880.

Respectively combination of CORNUCOPIA and CUIVRE is not correct.

Or am I wrong in this?

going by my schoolboy knowledge of chemistry, verdigris is caused by a chemical reaction between the copper and other elements in the environment. Verdigris is not in itself `contagious' as far as i am aware.

(can't help remarking --it takes some chutzpah, Monsieur l'Empereur Napoléon, to have a medal made commemorating your "entry" into Moscow, considering you only got to stay a night or two before the Russians burned it down just to spite you, and you and your army had to skedaddle back west, which was another not-so-glorious event. So really all you got was an "entry" into Moscow, right?)

:bwink:

(can't help remarking --it takes some chutzpah, Monsieur l'Empereur Napoléon, to have a medal made commemorating your "entry" into Moscow, considering you only got to stay a night or two before the Russians burned it down just to spite you, and you and your army had to skedaddle back west, which was another not-so-glorious event. So really all you got was an "entry" into Moscow, right?)

:bwink:

Production of this medal confirms that it was a big surprise for the Emperor when russians burned Moscow. I think he was very upset after this russian joke, but a sense of humor, he had not lost..Here is another interesting medal of this campaign. "THE FRENCH EAGLE ON THE VOLGA" the river, to which the army was never reached.

br1166rs.jpg

going by my schoolboy knowledge of chemistry, verdigris is caused by a chemical reaction between the copper and other elements in the environment. Verdigris is not in itself `contagious' as far as i am aware.

Thanks for the reply. the matter that I have read that verdigris on the ancient coin can destroy it very quickly and it will be dangerous for other bronze coins.

But apparently it's a different case.