CoinPeople.com

HELP WANTED - Wm Read Crown Tavern Cherry Street Billiards Token

Morning everyone,

I've recently won this token in an auction and am trying to identify this token. I am told that it might be from Birmingham.

Wm Read, I presume, is William Read, a possible landlord/inn keeper. The reverse is completely plain.

I know there are some great pub token experts out there, so any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Cherry St Token.doc

Doing some research, I found this entry in a Token catalog written in German. I don't believe it identifies it anymore than you already know but I found it interesting that it was in this German language catalog.

The Book:

bd. Enthält die beschreibung englischer token, jettone und zeichen

By Josef Neumann

"Av. Wm READ CROWN TAVERN, behind opposite CHERRY STREET lm circle a bagatelle table with stick and balls. Rev. A crown, arching above CHECK, THREE PENCE below likewise Randirt. Gr. 15th"

The section of the book the Wm Read Crown Tavern is in is the "Unbestimmte" section (Indeterminate) which I believe means that the location (area) the tavern was in could not be not identified. I see throughout the book that the other sections and tavern are identified with the area they were in such as Birmingham, Worcestershire, Lancashire, etc.

The book was published in Prague 1865.

Below is the translated forward by the author-

The British peninsula with its subordinate states provides us numismatic relationship a specialty, such as we find in any other country. These are the sons private coins so many cities and Per, then mark different designation (token) which namely quite often occurred in the 17th century and again fabricirt in recent times in fairly large numbers. These tokens are in a) earlier 17th centuries, eingetheilt called Trademen's tokens and Ь) in recent 18th and 19th centuries, known as Provincial tokens. Regarding the former, as described in the works of B o y n e is a very complete and that 9500 piece, andthis volume is limited merely to Be scription of the newer token (about 6000 pieces), since the inclusion of the elderly, because of the great rarity of them, here lands less interested by, and упе because of the difficulty of translation of the work of Во and from multiple other causes is not located in the plan of this work. When the present specification, the most possible full-employment pleased this has the numismatic audience to friend union Narrative of Dr. W. Freude nth al to thank in London, which the author has found the description of his token Samm treatment for grabs.

Hi,

I've had some contacts at the Birmingham History Forum do some research for me.

William Read was a brewer at 30-31 Cherry Street Birmingham and appears in various Birmingham Trade Directories in the 1850's. The 1848 directory doesn't list him, so the realiest he could be there is 1849 and by 1862's directory he isn't there, so the latest date is 1861.

So, the token is dated between 1849 and 1861, hence it being in Josef Neumanns book of 1865.

Thanks to everyone for their input and help.