CoinPeople.com

Best way to store coins to promote patina toning ?

I would say time is the single most important ingredient. Toning needs to be a natural process and anything more intrusive than your choice of folders and your place of storage strays dangerously close to doctoring.

Now, I'm not an expert on toning, but I have noted the following.

I haven't observed meaningful toning developing on anything less than a coin in AU. Maybe a strong XF, but the closer to uncirculated, the better.

I know that there's debate about book toning and I don't want to throw any kerosene on that fire, but the only coins that have toned appreciably in my possession are those stored in Littleton folders. I've had very little to no noticeable toning in Whitman and Dansco folders. The only other ones that toned were some silver proofs still in their original US Mint holders -- and IMO not very attractive.

So if I had to make a recommendation, it would be to store them normally, in Littleton folders, and let nature take its course.

I now bow out in favor of those with superior knowledge. :)

No superior knowledge here. I've worked hard to insure that my coins don't tone. I store them in anti toning boxes and such BUT I have a few series in Littleton folders and do get some toning there. It seems that the cents and nickels are particularly subject to it. I have my uncirculated series in Dansco albums and have gotten quite a bit of toning on some of my silver dimes and quarters. I'm thinking this is as much to do with preparation of the planchettes as with storage medium. Good luck with your quest and have fun.