CoinPeople.com

Hey all,

I work at a gas station and in the penny jar I found an interesting coin. I dont really know anything about these coins. The most I could really find online is that it was basically an un official form of currency back in the day. that a lot of business or farmers created their own coins.

I guess I am wondering if they are worth any money or if its something cool enough that is worth holding onto.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

20140519_192631.jpg

20140519_192652.jpg

Hello and welcome!

Essentially, these pieces in small denominations were usually a loyalty reward type of thing, before coupons and air miles and the like later replaced them. Sometimes they were also promotional in nature.

There's a number of books and catalogues for these, though as they're outside my area I don't have any. Since the name and location is clearly identified, it should be pretty straightforward to locate it in the relevant reference book(s).

Hello Matt and welcome to CoinPeople. We have a number of folks who collect different types of tokens. Hopefully someone will be along with some useful info for you. I moved your post to "Exonumia" which is the correct section to get attention from our token collectors.

1918 to 1920 Here is the token catalog page for your tokens store.http://www.tokencatalog.com/display_records.php?action=DisplayRecords&td_state=North+Dakota&td_city=Wolseth

Yes it is worth something. Since they only have a 5,10 and 25¢ listed the 1¢ might be a little scarcer then the others. Yes it is worth something, more to a ND token collector rather a general collector like me. The books for further info are listed at the top of the token catalog page.