CoinPeople.com

Some tougher Russian bimetal coins

gxseries

Forgot that I bought the two key bi-metal Russian coins a while ago before the prices of them went out of control.
Mintage of both of them are at low 100,000 each which is the lowest of the entire Russian bimetal coins. Bear in mind that most bi-metal coin mintage at around 5 - 10 million, which is by far the lowest mintage. Collectors believed that none of them entered circulation.
Chechen:
1023345.jpg
Yamalo-Nenetskiy autonomous okrug
1023346.jpg
As of why the low mintage - who knows, maybe political factors came in play. Nevertheless, beautiful 10 ruble coins. I like them both.
Here's another interesting error coin with a different reeded edge. Released recently, this coin has a different reeded edge.
North Ossetia
1023319.jpg
Error coin on the right
1023320.jpg

As you may tell, the difference is in the number of reeding - I believe it was 180 versus 300. Not sure why this happened but this is quite interesting.

Please show your Russian bi-metal coins too. :)

"Collectors believed that none of them entered circulation"

They surely did enter circulation, though mostly locally - in according Russian regions.

"As of why the low mintage - who knows, maybe political factors came in play"

Unlikely.
Rumoors were were that mint simply did not have time and/or resources to cope with previously set plan before end of year - as they had to do some other urgent job.
Another version is a "conspiracy" one: thet someone of Central Bank officials decided to make a little profit for himself :)

"Not sure why this happened but this is quite interesting"

They say, that mint by error applied reeding tool meant for "Sochi'2014" commemorative coin.