CoinPeople.com

The Strange Case Of Pisanello's Sunflower!

The medal pictured is not mine, shame about that.

SunflowerGonzagaMedal.jpg

This is an earlier Gonzaga medal(than the one in my previous post http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php/topic/34819-holy-roman-empress-eleonora-gonzaga-circa-1657/ ) which it is claimed also shows the sunflower device. The problem is that the sunflower is native to N. America so it cannot be depicted on a medal produced before 1492!

Obviously describing the flower on Pisanello's medal c.1447 as a sunflower is an anachronism, one that has been accepted & repeated until it became "fact", part of the corpus on renaissance medals. This poses the question as to what the original Gonzaga flower was.

Marguerite de Valois(1553-1615) chose the marigold as her armorial device, because of the belief it followed the sun, and used the motto "I wished to follow him alone" in regard to her husband Henri IV. Whilst the embattled Charles the Ist of England(1600-1649)

penned "The marigold obverves the sun, More than my subjects me have done" So in all likelihood the early Gonzaga floral device was the wild corn marigold(the cultivated marigold is also native to the New World), until the sunflower usurped it, probably c. 1600.

CornMarigold.jpg

Thanks Art.

There is another Old World candidate for the "marigold", if it is in fact a marigold, that being the pot marigold. But it is 100% not a sunflower.

We have the internet, search engines & so much information online, this makes it much easier to research & check facts etc than previous generations. So though I might point out an error I intend no criticism.

Wow -- I've never thought twice about all the "sunflowers" on French 17th-c. jetons. They may actually be modeled (literally and figuratively) on New World flowers, or they may simply be repeating the iconography (and the representation of the flower) from earlier figures.

Wow... who knew? Thanks! I read a bit online about marigolds and heliotropes.

• 1 month later...

Constanius, wonderful information! Thanks for posting the medal above. In 1995, Italy issued a 5000 L commemorative coin (for the 600th anniversary of the birth of Pisanello) that features the flower design on the reverse. It's a surprisingly beautiful coin (in my opinion) given that it's a modern. The Italians are very conscious of beauty, even on their many modern coins. :bwink:

1995_Italy_Pisanello_NGC_MS67_composite_