CoinPeople.com

George Fuld passing

Been noted... He earned his doctorate at MIT in 1957 after completing a bachelor's in chemical engineering in 1953. Though he did work as an industrial chemist specializing first in fermentation and then in radiation chemistry, he and his wife sold coins and stamps from about 1960 forward.

His books on Civil War Tokens were co-authored with his father, Melvin, whom he corralled into numismatics. In the current 3rd Edition of Civil War Tokens by Q. David Bowers is a nice story about how QDB met Fuld when the latter was a student at MIT.

I was never a big CWT chaser. I had a few, including "Shoot him on the Spoot." So, Fuld was just a name I knew when I had to attribute a token for someone else. However, I received the new 3rd Edition of A Guide Book of Civil War Tokens by QDB and it has an essay, "Reminiscence" by George Fuld. So, I did some web searching on key words and really found it difficult. The tokens were easy. He is well-known for that. The ANS published this biography.

George J. Fuld (1932-2013) of Owings Mills, Maryland, was born in Baltimore, graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with an Sc.D. in 1957, and was a consultant and vice president of Fuld Brothers (1954-1960) before working as a radiation researcher with Goodyear Tire (1963-1967). He married his wife Doris in 1955 and with her owned Dorge Approvals, a philatelic auction business that conducted sales during the 1970s. He served as editor of The TAMS Journal, published by the Token and Medal Society, became auction manager for Bowers and Ruddy in 1980, and was later vice president and director of auctions at Pacific Coast Auction Galleries of Santa Barbara, California. He wrote extensively on medals and tokens, and with his father Melvin coauthored numerous articles and other works on Civil War tokens. He is also known for having established a token rarity scale. -- http://numismatics.org/Archives/Gjfuldbio

Like many of us, he was pretty much a private person. His publications range all over exonumia from Colgate-Palmolives to Washington Peace Medals. If you look for him as an industrial chemist, you can find a few publications archived in and around the American Chemical Society. Mostly, after about 1965 or so, he just did coins.

• 1 month later...

Very sad news. In memory, I thought i'd post this item. It's a so-called dollar (HK-539) in silver celebrating the first American Airlines commercial jet service… with the first 50 in silver issued numbered on the edge, with the name of the collector to whom it was issued. My example was owned by Mr. Melvin Fuld, father of the late George Fuld. At some point in the near future, I will have NGC re-slab it so one can see the edge.

HK-539M_Fuld_zps27718b27.jpg