CoinPeople.com

can anyone identify this coin?

jvic

Hello! I'm very new to this website and, actually, I'm posting this on behalf of my father-in-law. I'm mentioning this because, in case anyone wants to ask any question related to numismatics, they should know that I know close to nothing about it. The reason I post this is because my father-in-law has been trying to identify the coin in the picture for some time now with no success. Can anyone help me please?

DSC_0989.jpg

DSC_0990.jpg

ITALY, Modena. Francesco I d’Este. 1629-1658. AR Scudo da 28 Bolognini. Crowned coat-of-arms / Double-headed eagle with ‘28’ on chest

Obverse:
shield, crowned: RVET DIVI SACIVITAS
Reverse:
eagle: FERIT ET TVETVR GEMINO ROSTRO

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=142805

The genuine & most contemporary fakes were all silver & can be quite valuable, your example looks to be silver-plated brass with most of the silvering missing, sorry.

your coin is similar to these two

11060.jpg Numismatik Lanz München, Auction 124, 1880
AUSLAND ITALIEN Modena No.: 1880 Schätzpreis-Estimate: EUR 200 d=42 mm Franz I. von Este, 1629 - 1658. 28 Stüber o.J. nach Vorbild von Emden für den Levantehandel. Wappen. Rs: NORSTRO, Doppeladler mit Wert, oben Krone. Zocca 111, CNI. 264. 16,46g....
blank.gif
Price: 201 USD blank.gif11062.jpg Numismatik Lanz München, Auction 124, 1881
AUSLAND ITALIEN Modena No.: 1881 Schätzpreis-Estimate: EUR 200 d=42 mm Franz I. von Este, 1629 - 1658. 28 Stüber o.J. nach Vorbild von Emden für den Levantehandel. Wappen. Rs: NOROSTRO (sic!), Doppeladler mit Wert, oben Krone. Zocca -, CNI. - (vgl...
blank.gif
Price: n/a