CoinPeople.com

1844 MW Rouble - die type? Overdate?

ultra

Hey,

I am confused by this example of Warsaw Mint issue Rouble. Look at the two lines under the "Rouble" sign. The one on the left side is obviously shorter than the one on the right. I don't see any scratching or any other kind of tooling near that line. I searched the internet but I couldn't find any similar example. Can it be some new die type? Another interesting thing about this coin is that it is probably overdated - look at the last "4".

f1.JPG

f2.JPG

f3.JPG

I do not think it is new die type.

But certainly it is a die variety.

There are 2 obverse types of 1844MW Rouble (with "straight" eagle tail and with fan tail) and only 1 reverse type.

And reverse die and one of obverse types (that with fan tail) has 2 major varieties each (and their combinations) plus some die mistakes and an overdate making total about dozen varieties (some of them being rare) described in catalogues.

Due to large mintage there surely are lots more (maybe hundreds) of minor varities which is probably impossible to fully catalogue and systematize.

Kocheregin, Russian numismatist of beginning of XX century, in his article devoted to rare varieties of XIX century roubles has described 28 different varietes of 1844MW, and mentioned that he had total of 57 different 1844MW roubles in his collection.