CoinPeople.com

UK sixpence with no reeding

coolcoin

Does it looks larger than usual (struck without collar), or about the same or slightly smaller (likely indicator of reeding having worn off or otherwise removed)

Hi, yes it is slightly smaller, with a perfect tounded edge, raised across the face, I'm new here, could I post a picture? Thanks for your reply.

It looks to me like a coin that has been "spooned". It's a process of rotating the coin and taping the edge with an rounded solid object - hence spoon. It makes the rim flatten and expand while erasing any markings or lettering on it. Without actually inspecting the coin, this is just my guess.

It looks to me like a coin that has been "spooned". It's a process of rotating the coin and taping the edge with an rounded solid object - hence spoon. It makes the rim flatten and expand while erasing any markings or lettering on it. Without actually inspecting the coin, this is just my guess.

Hello again, many thanks for the explanation, I hadn't heard of the discription "spooned", but it sounds right to me, it doesn't seem possible for it to have occured during manufacture, why anyone would want to do this escapes me. I know where to come when I want advice regarding coins, thank you again.

Spooning was often part of a process to make the coin suitable for some use other than commerce. Buttons, pins, washers, etc.