CoinPeople.com

worth of 1894 nickel

jakep

I used to collect coins a while back but I was too young to really understand much about coin collecting.

So I was digging threw my old coins and I found a 1894 US nickel.

What is the value for something like this? Not that I am interested in getting rid of it, just curious.

6q1Nxwi.jpg

cVXfDLa.jpg

I don't that there were any key dates for that year, so it would just be bullion value as the coin is quite heavily worn - probably used for many decades into the 1960s or maybe even the 1970s.

The silver Barber Quarter has 90% silver and remaining 10% is copper. The coin weighs 6.25 grams. Place the silver spot price in this equation and you have the melt value of the coin :)

This coin is a part of the Barber coinage, named after the coin designer Charles E. Barber, which consisted of dime, quarter, and half dollar. For more interesting facts, read this.

Probably worth more to a collector than melt would yield. Has approx $3.50 worth of silver. Of course if sold for melt it would be weighed to determine value.