CoinPeople.com

Russia 5 Ruble 1904

Kubusss

Hello, at first sorry for my English, I come from Polish;) I have a coin and I would 5 rouble ask Your rating of this item. My coin is from 1904, but on the edge of the coin is "AГ " , please expression, can you fix me something will help. Everything is correct as to the weight and purity of gold as well as the diameter of the coin. Regards

http://imageshack.us/f/24/2tgm.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/811/2oq4.jpg/

There is probably nothing wrong with the coin if it is really gold (not gold-plated) -- other details look OK to me.

The correct mintmaster initials would be "AP". There is the possibility that the device used to strike the edge had a broken "P" which made it look like "Г". You might want to compare the letters with other coins which are struck with both AP and AГ.

There is another possibility, too: the Soviet government struck a large quantity of gold coins for paying foreign debt using old dies from the imperial coins of Nicholas II in the early years, sometime after 1920. Since many governments were reluctant to recognize the new Soviet coinage, they were able to pay these countries with older gold coins. But sometimes they used the wrong edge device, or perhaps that was the only usable device they could find. You can read about this in Bitkin's catalogue.

Here are some edges in Kazakov's catalogue:

edges.jpg

Thank you very much for your interest. And anyone could tell me something more to say about the price of such coins? Is this coin is worth more?

Hard to say. 1904 is one of the most common years for this series, and most people don't bother with the edge at all. Not really worth faking because it is so common, unless there is some other metal in it being passed off for gold. And those fakes usually are easily recognizable by errors in the design.

Until perhaps 10 years ago, these later-date gold coins were only selling for their bullion value plus a small mark-up for condition. As to the edge varieties, very little research has been done in that area, so if there is something unusual on the edge, probably just as many people will scream "Fake!" as will say: "What an interesting variety!" Of course, the situation would look a bit different if there was "ЭБ" on the edge... no way those initials could be made by a defective edge device.

• 3 weeks later...