CoinPeople.com

5kop1785/3EM unpublished overdate

sigistenz

91905676.jpg

As the "3"s looked like above, I think my new acquisition (below) is probably a 1785/3 overdate, unpublished in the Brekke/Bakken book.

Sigi

5kop1785emover3.jpg

Looks like 5/3 to me, too. :bthumbsup:

Also, there seems to be an interesting die clash on the reverse -- between the eagle and the scroll there is what looks like part of the wreath, and there are traces of the monogram close to the head of the eagle on the left. However, the wreath trace looks raised and the monogram trace seems to be incuse. What do you think, shouldn't they both be either raised or incuse if this is indeed a die clash?

Looks good to me! Congratulations Sigi.

The overdates interface is coming together at rnumis. When it's ready, I hope you'll add this as the first example of a 1785/3!

:art:

Yes, Steve, will do

Looks like 5/3 to me, too. :bthumbsup:

Also, there seems to be an interesting die clash on the reverse -- between the eagle and the scroll there is what looks like part of the wreath, and there are traces of the monogram close to the head of the eagle on the left. However, the wreath trace looks raised and the monogram trace seems to be incuse. What do you think, shouldn't they both be either raised or incuse if this is indeed a die clash?

Yes, Bob, it looks somewhat strange. I don't have the coin at hand, will verify later. Die clashes are pretty common. My point was the overdate.