CoinPeople.com

5kop1790KM - nice but false

Unless...of course...these are different photos of the same coin (which I think they're not).

So, I think you're right Sigi (and Ex also points out that folks at other forums say they're different) but you do have to look pretty hard to see any differences and convince yourself it's not the same coin. :yes:

Unless...of course...these are different photos of the same coin (which I think they're not).

So, I think you're right Sigi (and Ex also points out that folks at other forums say they're different) but you do have to look pretty hard to see any differences and convince yourself it's not the same coin. :yes:

Steve, it is definitely not the same coin. There are some minim differences, for example the rim detail on "my" coin (below), which is missing at "Eugene's" coin. There are others, as the cuts in the cypher of "Eugene's" coin, missing with "mine".

Sigi

unbenannt2hek.jpg

Not the same coin, but cast from the same molds -- similar bubbles left of the crown, a raised spot to the right of the eagle's right wing (from the observer's perspective) and suspicious marks below the "K" and "M" just at the top edge of the scrollbar. The one under the "K" looks like a die crack, except that we now know that these "coins" were not produced by striking. :)

It looks like a forgery for circulation to me, or is it a fake to fool collectors?

Forgeries for circulation did appear with silver and gold coins. The precious metal was substituted by some other - cheaper - metal.

With copper coins forgeries would only happen, when the denomination was much higher than the market price of the copper used for the coin. The 5 kopeks of 1723-1730 are an example. Their weight was not 5fold the weight of the kopeks of the time but much less. The metal value was much less than 5 kopeks. As a result those 5 kopek (chrestovik) pieces were massively counterfeited, which led to their devaluation and finally to restriking them into 2kopek coins from 1757 on.

Our 2 coins above contained a quantity of copper of the market value of more or less their denomination. Nobody would have got the idea to counterfeit them for circulation - metal worth 5 kopeks would have to be used to counterfeit a 5 kopek coin - there was no profit to be made.

Our two coins above are modern forgeries for the coin market. They are extremely dangerous because they look right

- were there not the edge.

Sigi