CoinPeople.com

Anton Scharff, Bronze Medal.

I have a bronze medal by Anton Scharff a picture and information can be found here,

http://www.neocollect.com/item/4790/

A newspaper article published and the time the medal was stuck say the medal was not for sale to the public and was going to be given to friends only. The medal was struck for an American printing firm to commemorate the Guttenberg press.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this medal in books or in collections?

Does anyone know how many friends Mr. Hoes had? (a clue to mintage.)

I understand that Anton Scharff was supposed to be one of the better sculptors so if this a bit of a rare one off medal would it be valuable.

Thanks for your time.

Dave

According to the American Journal "This medal was struck in SILVER, and only a few impressions have been taken for distribution among personal friends of Mr. Hoe. Like that previously described, which was issued by the same gentleman, the dies of this piece are the work of the eminent Viennese medalist, Anton Scharff. Its size, as by the engraving from which our description is taken, is 32, American scale. w. T. R. M.".

https://www.google.com/search?q=Anton+scharff+Gutenberg+medal&client=tablet-android-asus-nexus&hl=en&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=gJlxUYO1HZDY9QTzyYH4BQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=601&bih=906#q=Anton+scharff+Gutenberg+medal&client=tablet-android-asus-nexus&hl=en&ei=F5pxUbOJL4TC9QTY54GACA&start=10&sa=N&fp=1&biw=601&bih=906&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&cad=b&sei=F5pxUbOJL4TC9QTY54GACA

So perhaps the bronze ones were offered for sale? I have never seen one, in silver or bronze, neat medal.