CoinPeople.com

Completed Soviet Union non-commemorative ruble coins

gxseries

Won the lot of them a while ago and forgot about them completely until I was doing a bit of clean up.

Some reckon that this is easy but I beg to differ. While the catalog values for each coin may not be very high, some years in particular from 1965 to 1973 are a lot tougher than what many think. You might be able to find many Soviet coins in junk coin lot including 50 kopek and some commemorative rubles but I have rarely seen hoards of rubles in such coin lot.

These days when I look at ebay, prices for a lot of the common XF+ ruble coins (1980s onwards) are commanding at least 5-10 dollars. Coins from the 60s to 70s are priced insane - some are asking for 30 - 50 dollars if not more.

I reckon it's A LOT easier to complete an entire set of Soviet commemorative coin set (excluding the Barcelona commemorative coins) instead of this non-commemorative ruble coins. As of why, I have no idea.

Here's a couple of photos:

1r_1.jpg

1r_2.jpg

With this, I have completed every single Soviet ruble coin that has been released excluding varieties. Maybe you have some of these in your collection?

I reckon it's A LOT easier to complete an entire set of Soviet commemorative coin set (excluding the Barcelona commemorative coins) instead of this non-commemorative ruble coins.

Here in Russia it's not so hard. One can easily find several offers of full 1961-1991 sets at "Molotok" starting from RUR15,000 (ca. US$ 490). And it is a little bit cheaper off-line... Though price of this set definitely went up 20- or 30-fold over past 10 years or so (I have bought such a complete set about 7 or 8 years ago for approx. $20 (all coins in UNC, except 1965 rouble which I had to replace later at additional $3 or $5)...