CoinPeople.com

Siberia / 10 kopeks 1775 fake?

Settembrini

Hello Everybody,

I have recently won the auction for the the attached coin.

It´s diameter is 47,57mm. I am worried about it´s weight: only 38,9 Gramms.

I don´t have much experience with russian coins (I have just started to collect them) but I don´t think, that this Underweight can be regular?

Sib_1775_01_a.jpg

Sib_1775_01_r.jpg

Hello Everybody,

I have recently won the auction (Frühwald/Austria) for the the attached coin.

It´s diameter is 47,57mm. I am worried about it´s weight: only 38,9 Gramms.

I don´t have much experience with russian coins (I have just started to collect them) but I don´t think, that this Underweight can be regular?

A most interesting item - thank you for showing. :art:

It looks like the real thing, but what on earth is it covered with? It needs to be stripped but what would it look like when naked??

Even more intriguing is the unbelievable underweight. I checked my 21 Siberian 10 kopeks - the lightest of them weighs 59.7 grams, which is a mere 9% short of the official 65.5 grams. I do not recall :read: having heard of one as light as yours. But with Russian coins you never know....

Your coin must be pretty thin. Would you show the edge? Maybe two or three different views?

Thank you, Sigi

-

Here are some scans from the edge.

Also another scan (with a higher resolution) from the coin. The surface is covered with (in German so called) "Gusspickel". Maybe it is a cast - produced for a museum perhaps?

sib1.jpg

sib2.jpg

sib3.jpg

sib4.jpg

Here are some scans from the edge.

Also another scan (with a higher resolution) from the coin. The surface is covered with (in German so called) "Gusspickel". Maybe it is a cast - produced for a museum perhaps?

The edge gives it away :yes: this is a cast counterfeit! The edge should be slightly convex but it is cylindric. Besides the edge looks terribly worn which does not correspond at all with the little wear of both sides (see the crowns). Then there are the bubbles, suggesting a cast. Now the bizarre underweight finds its explanation, too.

Thank you for this lesson, settembrini.

Sigi