CoinPeople.com

Looking for advice about coin database with geographical finding

alexdruk

Hello,

I am a new here, so sorry if I am in wrong place.

For a serious project with my grandson I am looking for data of geographical distribution of coins findings that I think can be considered as a characteristic of trade connections. What we want to do is to create a map of finding of certain coin(s) of certain country in other countries. Coin type, country of origin and even time of mint not matter much for a moment (or at least it seems so).

We would greatly appreciate any advise about how we can collect this type of data. Preferably it should be a database (databases) of coins with geographical data (preferably in a form of longitude-latitude) of their findings.

Many thanks in advance.

We would greatly appreciate any advise about how we can collect this type of data. Preferably it should be a database (databases) of coins with geographical data (preferably in a form of longitude-latitude) of their findings.

There are many databases that provide this information such as the EMC, UKDFD and PAS. However it will be flawed as many countries outlaw metal detecting without a licence and many such databases do not include foreign coins. There will also be huge disparities with certain coins/countries - e.g. Danegeld from England to Scandinavia.

In principle, a great idea. Best of luck and keep us updated.