CoinPeople.com

Reducing lines

Through this board I've learned a little about copy/reducing lines and seen some good examples, mainly through the sterling work of Constanius.

​It's taken a while, but I've finally got an example of my own.

A nice Lauer model half sov. Admittedly it's difficult to see the lines on this scan and it has been in my collection for a few years, but at last I can recognise it.

Thanks Pat

2012-10-18_opt.jpg

This may interest some. From:

The E-Sylum

An electronic publication of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

NEW PERIODICAL: JOURNAL OF NUMISMATIC RESEARCH

Numismatic researcher and author Roger Burdette has debuted the first issue of the Journal of Numismatic Research. This 48-page first issue features two articles about the technology used in producing coins in the US Mints.

PAGE 23 -

VICTOR JANVIER – PATENT FOR A MODEL REDUCING MACHINE, 1899

French and English - New translation by Margaux C. Thieme-Burdette

Among American numismatists Victor Janvier is known almost entirely for the model reducing machine of his invention that was installed in the Philadelphia Mint in 1906. The first test was in December when Barber and Morgan made hubs for a sample double eagle. In January 1907 the first reductions of Saint-Gaudens' double eagle models were made. The French patent, number 294123, was issued on November 8, 1899 and amended in February 24, 1902. This is the first publication of his patent and includes all documents remaining in the French patent office archive.

The PDF version of Journal of Numismatic Research (JNR) is available exclusively from Wizard Coin Supply’s web site. This issue has a cover price of $10 in electronic or printed versions. Wizard will also be the exclusive distributor of all printed and electronic editions of JNR, and of Roger's forthcoming book, United States Pattern and Experimental Pieces of WW-II.

r

To order a copy, see: www.wizardcoinsupply.com/journal-of-numismatic-research/