CoinPeople.com

Medals & Orders Are there novodels & forgeries?

Guest rnsdb

Are there any collectors of medals, orders, and badges that know answers to the following:

1. Do patterns exist for the above as they do for coins that would warrant a separate classification filter code in the medals database?

2. Do novodels exist? Or is the better term restrike, eg Peter I 19th century restrikes of originals or is a novodel from original dies and a restrike from new dies?

3. Are there many forgeries of originals or novodel/restrikes?

I'm going to put the medals test database up for download next week and I need to know whether to build in a filter for patterns and novodel/restikes and if there's a need for an ability to compare originals with forgeries.

Ron

Are there any collectors of medals, orders, and badges that know answers to the following:

1. Do patterns exist for the above as they do for coins that would warrant a separate classification code?

2. Do novodels exist? Or is the better term restrike, eg Peter I 19th century restrikes of originals

3. Are there any or many forgeries of originals or novodel/restrikes?

I'm going to put the medals test database up for download next week and I need to know whether to build in a filter for patterns and an ability to compare originals with forgeries.

Ron

1. To the first question I would like to get the answer myself. However, I personally never came across something like that even mentioned...

2 -- yes. There are novodels (in the very least) struck with new dies prepared by another engraver. I believe there were also restrikes with original dies in different metal. I read something about it. If it was also done in same metal is hard to tell -- after all there is no edge design...

3 -- most medals on ebay right now are fakes. There are even medals in gold sold at auctions people believe are fakes...

I think it would be beneficial to consult catalogs (there are excellent works on russian medals) Diakov, Bitkin... There has to be some info you are looking for in those books.