CoinPeople.com

Peace of Aix La Chapelle 1748

The ANS only has a bronze, but a Spink catalog from 1905 lists several similar in gold and silver and also mentions this type as uncataloged in bronze. The peace wasn't a big hit in Britain so maybe there weren't too many of these made.

Peace.jpg

From MI vol II page 652. Though there were many different medals struck to commemorate the Peace, both in England and Europe in various metals, this one is a copy of one by John Kirk, his version had a latin inscription and was available in bronze, silver and gold, but this copy was only struck in brass, according to MI.

Thanks Pat. I was aware of the version with the Latin inscription, but not that it was by Kirk. Also I'm reasonably certain that mine is bronze.

Reluctantly I confess my ignorance of MI. I say reluctance, because last time I asked a question like this it ended with me buying the complete BHM. (Which I don't regret for a minute, except that it's still lost somewhere among the moving boxes)

Bob