CoinPeople.com

UNKNOWN NOTE - BOUGHT AT GARAGE SALE - PHOTO INSIDE

petarjovanic

Hi Guys,

I went to a garage sale today and bought some foreign currency. There was alot of brazilian, south african, dutch, denmark & new zealand currency.

The elderly gentlemen I bought it from showed me a note which I also purchased which says "Tien Ten Bankman" on it.

He said that it was an uncirculated note out of an ATM or something which I believe is from South Africa.

Does anyone know much about it and whether it is worth anything?

Thanks

7098386469_fdd41a0be1.jpg

6952314394_e154f2a599.jpg

Hi petarjovanic,

Well, your banknote (if it's a banknote) is really an interesting one. But, I doubt that the elderly gentleman is right because the word "tien" is Dutch. There was a Dutch colony in South Africa (Cape Colony) but it was under Dutch control between 1652-1730. That banknote cannot be so old, if it's not a reproduction.

So, it may be from Nederlands (which I don't think so) or one of the colonies of Nederlands in South America. However, I may be totally wrong though, I'm not sure.

Best regards.

cemars

Don't know anything about it but I'd be looking to see if it's some kind of test note that may have been used to test atms and someone got hold of one.

Hi Guys,

The gentlemen was nice enough to reply to my email in relation to the note.

Heres what he said.

The note is same size as a SA Rand from 1979 which was used to test the mechanism of ATMS produced in South Africa at the time.

Is it Worthless?

I doubt it would be worthless. I'm sure there are collectors who specialize in this sort of material. Check ebay for prior sales of similar material.

That's for you to decide. If itvwere me, id do a search on eBay worldwide and check the listings for this note. If you can't find it find one that's similar and see what people are getting for it. Then decide how much to sell it for.

You can get more info by googling test notes as well.

Good luck.

Archived