CoinPeople.com

Re closed NGC slab

georg

Hi guys!

I'm new here and I also don't have much experience with slabbed coins.

I recently bougt a NGC slabbed coin. As far as I can tell the holder and the label on top and behind are genuine.

But I'm not sure if the holder has been opened and reclosed.

And I'm saying that because I see on all four sides that the rim is a little bit damaged.

Can anyone help? Is it possible to open such a holder and not to destroy it?

Altought I searched I couldn't find any fotos showing the side of a slab.

Thanks in advance!

Does the serial number match the coin? Check the website for info on this.Some slabs seem to have a spacing in the edges where they didn't quite make the perfect seal. Is this what you have?

Of course someone could have been messing with the slab and there are a number of counterfeit slabs out there. If you're uncomfortable with it contact the NGC folks for help. I've always found them to be extremely helpful.

The serial number is ok! If there were also any fotos, it would be very helpfull.

That's the case. The seal isn't quite perfect and also there some marks that could be beatings or as I suspect, they may are marks occused from opening up the slab. I 'll try to make some clear fotos later, in order to understand better what I mean.

Perhaps I'll send the NGC an email about it also.

Thanks for the reply!

Is it possible to open such a holder and not to destroy it?

Might be possible. But it would be pretty much impossible to reseal it with a different coin inside.. without leaving evidence of tampering.

If you can post pictures of all angles of the slab it could be helpful. It's probably fine, but peace of mind is always nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Your best bet after verifying with NGC that the number and coin match is to take it to a local dealer who handles certified coins -- try for an NGC certified dealer and let them have a look.

Archived