CoinPeople.com

FOREIGN EXHIBITION. BOSTON 1883

I posted this medal a few years ago & thought I should update it with some additional info that I have since discovered.

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

Obv: TREATY OF PEACE BETWEEN GREAT BRITAIN AND THE UNITED STATES.1783. SEPt 3d SIGNED AT PARIS.FRANCE. 4 Men around a table. H.M. above exergue.

Rev: FOREIGN EXHIBITION. BOSTON, MASS. U.S.A. OPENED SEPTEMBER 3d 1883

29mm WM.

MA-BO-26 Trade Token, Boston, Massachusettes(page 675 in United States Tokens 1700-1900 by Rulau, 4th edition)

The listing in Rulau does not mention the initials, HM, or a die-sinker.

I think that the H.M. could be for Henry Mitchell a Boston Die-sinker & gem engraver. He made all the dies for the stamped envelopes of the United States for a great many years. The Maine State Agricultural Society medal was one of the first he cut, having been done sometime before the civil war. Henry Mitchell does use HM(Rulau). Another of his medals was for the Philadelphia 1876 Exhibition. Another the Shield of Harvard 1902. So the date(1883) fits his active period & it being a Boston medal is another pointer towards Mitchell, also I can find no other candidate for the HM in that period.

Neat theme! Was this an smaller expo? I have to say I haven't heard of it before.

You are in luck OFFICIAL CATALOGUE this was quite a unique exhibition in that it was for showcasing foreign products, not American ones.

There is a 'So-Called Dollar' for the same event http://www.so-calleddollars.com/Events/American_Exhibition_of_Foreign_Products.html

• 2 years later...

Comparing with a known Henry Mitchell medal.

IMG_2288-horz.jpg

IMG_2288-horz-horz.jpg

So Called Dollar.
HK 18 BATTLE OF LEXINGTON CENTENNIAL - 1875
This Lexington Centennial medal is struck in white metal from the same dies as HK 16 & HK 17. Dies engraved by Henry Mitchell and delivered to the U.S. Mint for striking. The dies were later returned to Mitchell. The mint refused to strike white metal specimens as requested by Mitchell so he had the white metal pieces struck outside the mint. Julian number CM-24.
They do seem to be quite similar.

Another nice medal. I complement your collection and the fine research you share with us. Thank you.