CoinPeople.com

Is this an Eadgar penny?

Lhare

Hello, I recently bought this coin and while I am fairly sure that it's an Eadgar penny I would be grateful if some of you, more experienced and knowledgable, collectors could confirm this for me. My only concern is that the small head decoration (is it part of his hair/crown?!) are ever so slightly diferent from in the Spink. Please let me know whar you think.

Coin - 1.jpg

I would say that this is an Eadgar. Whilst the bust is almost identical to Edward the Martyr's coinage and some of Aethelred II's the legend visible here points to Eadgar with the ANGLORX style.

Also, try not to rely on Spink as the book only shows one example of just some of the types. Coinage like this comes from a wide range of dies and so many coins will look noticeably different from their counterparts yet they will often be of the same type and style.

A nice acquisition! Welcome to the forum, too.

I would say that this is an Eadgar. Whilst the bust is almost identical to Edward the Martyr's coinage and some of Aethelred II's the legend visible here points to Eadgar with the ANGLORX style.

Also, try not to rely on Spink as the book only shows one example of just some of the types. Coinage like this comes from a wide range of dies and so many coins will look noticeably different from their counterparts yet they will often be of the same type and style.

A nice acquisition! Welcome to the forum, too.

That's great news. Thank you very much for your help!

Archived