CoinPeople.com

1993 Planchet Error Round 20p

Joe Mc

I posted this in the wrong section before :(

Here it is:

Hi,

My name is Joe, I am new to the forum.

I am mainly a Medal collector, mostly WW1 as I love the research too, I have actually reunited some with the recipients Grandchildren etc who thought they were long gone. I do however have a soft spot for British an U.S currency and sometimes I get coins through 'job lot's' of medals I buy.

Today I got this 20p and I nearly gave it back to the seller as I thought it was 'just a 20p' but the error was pointed out.

I have a few questions and any help would be much appreciated.

1) How many of these are likely to be in existance? I know that is next to impossible to know but a 'guesstimate' would be great.

2) What is the approximate value? This won't be for sale either way, as I love the unusual and exotic but always nice to know.

I appreciate you time, pics to follow. On the subjet of picture, sorry about the quality. We have just moved house and we are yet to unpack the camera!

Hello, and welcome!

Frankly, I think it's been altered / damaged rather than being a mint-made error.

From the obverse, looking at the legends, it looks like the edge has either been filed or tapped to make it go away, as it appears to be smaller than a regular 20p rather than being about the same size.

Hello, and welcome!

Frankly, I think it's been altered / damaged rather than being a mint-made error.

From the obverse, looking at the legends, it looks like the edge has either been filed or tapped to make it go away, as it appears to be smaller than a regular 20p rather than being about the same size.

Different thickness to a standard 20p, and no machining marks on this example even under magnafication, so I highly doubt that but thanks for the input.

Foul play was the first thing that came to mind for me too but I checked snd dismissed this.

What looks most likely to me is a forign Planchet has been stamped in error. I have a feeling this could be made of aluminium (Like some forign coins) rather than C.n as it should be. Surley if it was a different blank/planchett it would be the wrong size?

Many thanks!

Different thickness to a standard 20p, and no machining marks on this example even under magnafication, so I highly doubt that but thanks for the input.

Foul play was the first thing that came to mind for me too but I checked snd dismissed this.

What looks most likely to me is a forign Planchet has been stamped in error. I have a feeling this could be made of aluminium (Like some forign coins) rather than C.n as it should be. Surley if it was a different blank/planchett it would be the wrong size?

Many thanks!

Looks like a nickel alloy to me - aluminum is quite different in color.

The coin's edge, and thus shape is determined by the collar, and not by the blank, so in incorrect planchet should still result in the same shape as a regular piece, unless it was too small and did not fully expand out when struck. However, your piece shows full details and no signs of any metal flow.

Looks like a nickel alloy to me - aluminum is quite different in color.

The coin's edge, and thus shape is determined by the collar, and not by the blank, so in incorrect planchet should still result in the same shape as a regular piece, unless it was too small and did not fully expand out when struck. However, your piece shows full details and no signs of any metal flow.

Can you explian how it is half the thickness of a normal 20p if you theory is correct?

I can see you point about the smape, i'm thinking it could be a 5p blank that has expanded/flatted off centre on striking.

Thanks for the input.

Can you explian how it is half the thickness of a normal 20p if you theory is correct?

I can see you point about the smape, i'm thinking it could be a 5p blank that has expanded/flatted off centre on striking.

Thanks for the input.

It wasn't mentioned previously that this piece is thinner than a regular coin 0 only that the thickness was different, which I assumed may had been a slightly thicker piece if it had been a regular coin that was "tapped".

This new info about the thinness changes everything - as I can now say based on that and on the full strike that it's most likely an error - struck on an incorrect (undersized) planchet.

Next step would be to get a weight on it.

It wasn't mentioned previously that this piece is thinner than a regular coin 0 only that the thickness was different, which I assumed may had been a slightly thicker piece if it had been a regular coin that was "tapped".

This new info about the thinness changes everything - as I can now say based on that and on the full strike that it's most likely an error - struck on an incorrect (undersized) planchet.

Next step would be to get a weight on it.

You are quite right, I should have pointed that out earlier like I thought I did, sorry!

I will get a weight however all my equiptment is in work so may be Monday if I can't get a friend to do it in the meantime.

Thanks again for all your help,

Joe

Archived