CoinPeople.com

New to Forum from MI

Hello, I recently just discovered this forum. I will try and stumble through and meet you all as soon as I can. I was a victim of the Joplin Missouri tornado that occured May 22nd, 2011. After losing my home, friends, and everything I had known for the last 23 years I decided to fill my trunk with my coin collection and move to Michigan to marry my best friend.

I piled what was left of my belongings into my car that was severely damaged by the 200+ winds and debris and prayed to make the 14 hour drive. My car was missing all the windows except for the front driverside window and a heavily cracked windshield. Driving at night was a horrible idea. Every time a car passed it reflected so many times that I could barely make out what was in front of me. Also it was raining non-stop and very very cold. Luckily, I brought a blanket and my dog who's a yorkie mix. (Looks drasticly like a little ewoke.) I wrapped the blanket around me and her and we managed down the road till sun broke.

When the sun finally broke the horizon I pulled over for coffee and another potty break mainly for my furry friend. I noticed the windshield has cracked ten times more and the 2x4 that was lodged in the radiator had fallen out and the fluids were almost empty. I located a store and purchased a dozen eggs and some water. Who knew that old wise tale actually worked and eggs do plug holes in radiators. I was highway bound again.

Finally, I made it to Michigan. I wanted to sell my coin collection to a local dealer so I could afford a place to stay with my soon to be wife. I looked in the directory and found a dealer listed as FAS coin. I called them up and after much discussion and hesitancy on his end he agreed to look at my collection. See, FAS coins was mainly an online store and never really deals with off the street sells. I guess what I had was worth viewing.

I went to the sellers coin shop which at the time was located above a garage in a really nice shop. I went in and busted out my collection on his table. I had NGC slabbed Quarters and Silver Eagles. Also, a bunch of raw coins from a complete mercury dime set including the beloved 1916D and about 160 dated/mintmark rolls of wheats. Plus a few odds and ends as I'm sure every collector had. After several hours of conversation he instead wanted to offer me a job rather than buying my collection. He couldn't believe how much a 23 year old cat knew about coins and wanted me to join his team.

Upon leaving I discovered that I had met Dave. I knew Dave from many hours wasting on his ebay store know as Dave's Collectable Coins. I couldn't believe I just met the man behind all the great coins I've bought and also that I was now working for him. Still till this day I haven't met a more honest dealer and one who really truly desires to make a customer feel appreciated and receive what they deserve. Now four months have gone by and I'm an expectant father just rocking it out in a coin store.

From flipping pancakes and steaks at two different jobs a day to working in a coin store, married and soon-to-be dad after the worst tornado in history I'd say anything is possible. Looking forward to this forum and I am glad that there are avenues available for coin collectors. Feeling more blessed, humble and grateful than ever before.

Daniel

Chat with you soon! I hope

• 2 months later...

Hello Daniel and welcome to CoinPeople. Sorry that I somehow missed this intro the first time around.

Archived