CoinPeople.com

Speaking of Morgan dollars...

bobh

I can't see any top 100 or other special vam on it. Right now completed sales on pcgs ms65 1880 s are running from $170 to $200. MS66 up to $385. With the picture I would have a real hard time bidding anywhere close to that. I did blow up the picture and it does look clean, just not enough resolution to be sure.

Kind of strange yesterday I put a bid in on a ms64 pl just because I liked the looks of it. (Yep, old habits are hard to break.) Did not make reserve. I mean a coin what you can find pretty easily in higher grades. And one I have duplicates of. But just liked the look. PCGS has it listed for $145. Numismedia has it going for $175. I also see ms64 pl's pcgs's sold on ebay for $99 and a high of $185. Its a local dealer so I called about it to see what I could get it for. $320 !!!!! His reserve was set at $350.

Kind of strange yesterday I put a bid in on a ms64 pl just because I liked the looks of it. (Yep, old habits are hard to break.) Did not make reserve. I mean a coin what you can find pretty easily in higher grades. And one I have duplicates of. But just liked the look. PCGS has it listed for $145. Numismedia has it going for $175. I also see ms64 pl's pcgs's sold on ebay for $99 and a high of $185. Its a local dealer so I called about it to see what I could get it for. $320 !!!!! His reserve was set at $350.

Interesting ... maybe someone would pay that much for an undergraded MS-64 or 65. The dealer can hold out on selling the coin if he or she thinks that they would eventually be able to find a buyer for it there.

At an auction, though, I would expect to see a much lower estimate (maybe $100 - $150). Nobody in their right mind will START the bidding at the upper end of the price spectrum for a coin that is not that rare, even in higher grades.

Not knowing too much about the VAM top 100, what comprises the top 100 varieties? Is it by significance of flaw/design/variety? Or by rarity? or by desirability?

Archived