CoinPeople.com

7 years war...

PeterShell

Hi everybody,

As our Russian speaking friends have more opportunities to read original articles...

Does any of you know how big were salaries in the middle of 18th Century in Russia?

How about pay of soldiers - for instance in the period of "7 years war" ?

Hi everybody,

As our Russian speaking friends have more opportunities to read original articles...

Does any of you know how big were salaries in the middle of 18th Century in Russia?

I didn't look very hard. Found this article, but it goes up to the end of 17th century: http://www.talers.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=105&limitstart=2

Not sure what the privates earned in 1750's and 1760's. I would not guess that it would be a lot. Maybe a couple of roubles a month?

Hi everybody,

once i have more time there are some info on salary of mint workers in recent published books of Ekaterinburg mint :wacko:

I remember reading in one of my standard reference works (was it Uzdenikov? Brekke? Bitkin? Julian? :confus: ...) that one pyatak (i.e. a copper 5 kopeck coin) was worth approximately a day's wages for a common worker back in the 18th century. That would correspond nicely with the estimate of 1 rouble per month (or perhaps a little more or less).

I won't be able to look up the source for this information for a few weeks now, but maybe it will jog someone else's memory? :yes:

Archived