CoinPeople.com

1797 trade dollar

PhilCarr

does this happen a lot? is there still the odd market for them? I like the liberty coins (fav is a 1925 standing liberty quarter I found at work!), but if it's a fake I don't have any interest in it.

I apologize for complicating things, but as a criminologist, I see numismatics somewhat differently. You "found" this "trade dollar" at "the bank."

I understand that often, banks do not care about numismatics as long as the accounts balance. If you find a 1955 Doubled Die Obverse Lincoln Cent, you can balance your drawer with a cent from your own pocket. Many tellers do this. I knew a bank officer who was an accomplished numismatist and his personal collection ran to National banknotes. So, that worked out well for him once a year or so over 25 years or so. I get that.

But...

Did the bank take this "trade dollar" as a dollar?

To me, that speaks to a need for training (which as a numismatist, I provide).

The coin is counterfeit. As such, under US law, titled ownership is impossible: it is contraband and can be seized without a warrant. The bank cannot let this out of their control. They have to destroy it, or turn it over to Treasury, or (perhaps) just keep it with their other mistakes. But they cannot sell it, or trade it, or lend it. That also applies to you: it is illegal to sell counterfeit US money.

Don't tell me about eBay. "Lack of enforcement is not endorsement." Just because some people - or a lot people - break the law is not your permission to join them.

As you have no interest in the coin, it will be easy for you to walk away from it.

Archived