CoinPeople.com

Chiang Kai-shek Coin Value?

stegolas

Its just like the one in the link, i cant tell if there is a date on it as i cant read it lol ???

thanks

I am not sure that the OmniCoin example is dated correctly.

The obverse with Chiang kai Shek: start at the far right in the 4 o'clock and read counterclockwise. The first character is an oblong with a vertical line through it. That means "Center" or "Middle." The Chinese always thought of themselves as the cetner of the known world, and always called China "Middle Kingdom" before the Revoluntion of 1911. I don't know the next two characters, but the fourth, above the center of his head, is "Country" or "Nation" (or in old days Kingdom). It is a square with squggles inside and you should think of a walled village or castle with a guy inside holding an ax.

Next comes the numbers, the date. 6 is the character that looks like a cross with two legs. Then comes a plus or cross which means 10. Then comes a bar which means 1. 6 times 10 plus 1 = 61. The last character is for "Year." You see it all kinds of Chinese and Japanese coins. So, this is Year 61 after 1911 or 1972 to us.

The other side shows the denomination. The first character on the right - the one that looks like a chair - that's 5. I don't know what the T means. The character on the left means "money" generally and is based on the old character for a Cowerie shell from when shells were used for money thousands of years ago.

That's all I can do from here. I relied on my Standard Catalog of World Coins and some learning I did on my own - admittedly incomplete. Keep your eye out at used book stores and library sales. The old catalogs go for a dollar or two.

(The date is not scarce: they made 27.998 million of them.)

Hi, thanks for all the info.

I dno what to do with the coin as i dont really want it and im selling a hell of alot of coins on ebay at the mo. Im having a clearout so its hard for me to get their values. I usually start them at £0.99

But some are worth more i just dont have the knoweledge :(.

thanks

So, this is Year 61 after 1911 or 1972 to us.

Right on! I didn't even notice that!

The other side shows the denomination. The first character on the right - the one that looks like a chair - that's 5. I don't know what the T means.

The

/

|

sign is part of the formal (and older) way of writing the character for "five".

It's kind of like "color" and 'colour"

Hi, thanks for all the info.

I dno what to do with the coin as i dont really want it and im selling a hell of alot of coins on ebay at the mo. Im having a clearout so its hard for me to get their values. I usually start them at £0.99

But some are worth more i just dont have the knoweledge :(.

thanks

But by listing everything at 99p apiece you also run the risk of having lots of low value coins not sell, and thus cost you money and time in listing them for a negative return. (Not that I'm saying they won't sell - I've seen weird things like two bidders going crasy and paying perhaps 10-15 quid on something that's not even worth one)

• 2 weeks later...

The coin is a 1972 5 NT dollars [NT$1 = US 3 cents]. This particular coin is not currently in circulation in Taiwan, it has been replaced with a smaller coin, but it is quite common in coin shops here in Taiwan selling for US 25 cents or so. If you can get 99 pence for it than you're doing well.

Archived