CoinPeople.com

Champagne on a Beer Budget

mmarotta

For a long time, I knew tangentially about the "Fair Courts" of the Middle Ages. I read a few light books on medieval commerce (Everyday Life of Medieval Travelers by Marjorie Rowling; Merchant and Moneymen by Joseph and Frances Gies; a few others). About five years ago, I decided to do more research and I started with the coins. Being at university by then, it was easier to acquire academic papers on the subject. "Champagne: the Athens of the Middle Ages" appeared in the November 2009 issue of The Celator. These are some of the coins that went into writing that.

Hughes of Champagne (1089-1125) Denier. Troyes. Cross w/ Cross; Cross w/ Pellets and Monogram. Boudeau 1744. ex: Liberty of Lansing; $45.

(and I can see that this is not going to go well. 100k limit and the coin was already reduced to Web Small...)

985887_a.jpg985887_b.jpg

(more later)

Next day: "Wow! This is a lot like the first time I got a FORTRAN deck to run!"

100k limit and the coin was already reduced to Web Small...)

If you upload your pics to Photobucket first(you pick the size of image when you upload it, up to 17" screen size or 1024 x 768 or even 1mg) you can use any of the other free picture hosting sites. You then just post the IMG code direct into the topic with out any size restrictions

ffhugh5bg.jpg

FROM FRENCH FEUDAL COINS

(I would have liked to avoid the extra step ... )

Later in the day... I put two coins into OmniCoin. Let's see how this goes.

Henry I (1152-1180) of Troyes. 0.89 grams. Ex. Calgary; Nov '04; $57

Poey d'Avant 5951; Roberts 4142

985886_a.jpg985886_b.jpg

"Those Arthurian romances – Lancelot, Gawain, Parsifal – were the invention of Chretien of Troyes who wrote for the court of Marie of Champagne. Marie’s mother was Eleanor of Aquitaine. Her father was Eleanor’s first husband, Louis VII of France. Eleanor later married a rising duke, a decade her junior, who in two years became Henry II of England. Their sons became Count Geoffrey, Prince John and King Richard the Lionhearted. Marie of Champagne twice ruled as regent. First, her husband, Henry the Liberal (1127-1181), left and joined the crusades."

(I would have liked to avoid the extra step ... )

Henry I (1152-1180) of Troyes.

Poey d'Avant 5951

Interesting stuff Michael. I'm currently reading `Eleanor of Aquitaine and the Four Kings' by Amy Kelly for the second time (the first time being about 35 yrs ago).

Interesting stuff Michael. I'm currently reading `Eleanor of Aquitaine and the Four Kings' by Amy Kelly for the second time (the first time being about 35 yrs ago).

Thanks for the recommendation.

Thibault III of Champagne. Provins. Obv: TEBALT COMES cross. pellet. omega. pellet. Alpha. Rev: CASTRI PRVVINS. oVo (above) Comb (below): PdA 5978; VF; ex: Zauche $15 Nov.'04.

985888_a.jpg985888_b.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation.

Thibault III of Champagne. Provins. Obv: TEBALT COMES cross. pellet. omega. pellet. Alpha. Rev: CASTRI PRVVINS. oVo (above) Comb (below): PdA 5978; VF; ex: Zauche $15 Nov.'04.

985888_a.jpg985888_b.jpg

Omnicoins appears to be working fine for your posts.

Archived