CoinPeople.com

identification of tiny GEORGE V coin with no date/value

enos76

Enos,

Welcome to the forum! :ninja:

What you have found is an example of toy money. It is a poor imitation of a sovereign or half-sovereign, I'm not sure which as both denominations are larger than 16mm in diameter.

These would be used as gaming tokens or played with by kids. Either way, they are interesting pieces but their value is minimal if any.

Kindest Regards,

Clive.

What you have found is an example of toy money. It is a poor imitation of a sovereign or half-sovereign, I'm not sure which as both denominations are larger than 16mm in diameter.

These would be used as gaming tokens or played with by kids. Either way, they are interesting pieces but their value is minimal if any.

Hello Clive,

thanks for your kind and quick reply.

Do you also happen to know where and when such coins were used?

A link or a name to do research with would be as welcome.

I wonder if with such information I could trace how the "coin" ended up in my parent's apartment.

Kind Regards

--

Enos, from Italy

Enos,

Not a problem, I'm happy to be of help.

One of the most prolific manufacturers of such coins were a company called Lauer, however, I think that this cannot be from their factory due to the way that the features are out of proportion. I, unfortunately, do not have any idea as to which company or even country manufactured your piece.

Do you have any idea what material yours is made from?

Kindest Regards,

Clive.

One of the most prolific manufacturers of such coins were a company called Lauer, however, I think that this cannot be from their factory [...]

Do you have any idea what material yours is made from?

I'm not sure what the coin is made of, but in some areas the yellow finish has worn down revealing an underlying grey metal.

I browsed the Fitzwilliam Museum section on George V toy coins. You were indeed right, Lauder's look very different:

http://tinyurl.com/36tnzjm

I'm quite happy with the information I've got so far, therefore for now I'm calling it a day on the research as I don't feel comfortable giving you too much trouble. If I will ever manage to trace the exact origin of the coin, I will let you know.

Again, many thanks.

Goodbye

--

Enos

Archived