CoinPeople.com

Argentina serial number ?

see323

I recently acquired these two Argentina banknotes. I like to know more about the serial numbers of these two notes. I read somewhere that the first 2 digits of the serial number refers to the prefix. In the case of the note below, 55.500.000A, the prefix is 55 and the number is 500.000.

Argentina1Peso55500000A-F-1000.jpg

Argentina1Peso55500000A-B-1000.jpg

If that is the case, another example of an Argentina banknote with serial number 99.000.000B, prefix should be 99 and number is 000.000. Does it means that this note is a specimen ? Anyone with the knowledge of Argentina serial numbering, please enlighten us. Thanks

Argentina1Austral99000000B-F-1000.jpg

Argentina1Austral99000000B-B-1000.jpg

I recently acquired these two Argentina banknotes. I like to know more about the serial numbers of these two notes. I read somewhere that the first 2 digits of the serial number refers to the prefix. In the case of the note below, 55.500.000A, the prefix is 55 and the number is 500.000.

Argentina1Peso55500000A-F-1000.jpg

Argentina1Peso55500000A-B-1000.jpg

If that is the case, another example of an Argentina banknote with serial number 99.000.000B, prefix should be 99 and number is 000.000. Does it means that this note is a specimen ? Anyone with the knowledge of Argentina serial numbering, please enlighten us. Thanks

Argentina1Austral99000000B-F-1000.jpg

Argentina1Austral99000000B-B-1000.jpg

You consistently amaze me with your collection and acquisitions of such fancy serial numbers.

As for the numbering of these notes, this is what I know. The serial numbers use 8 digits, with a thousand separator in the form of a period. The series is denoted by the letter at the end. Replacements are marked with an R at the beginning of the serial number. However, I would love to be enlightened and corrected if my understanding is wrong.

- Balaji

You consistently amaze me with your collection and acquisitions of such fancy serial numbers.

As for the numbering of these notes, this is what I know. The serial numbers use 8 digits, with a thousand separator in the form of a period. The series is denoted by the letter at the end. Replacements are marked with an R at the beginning of the serial number. However, I would love to be enlightened and corrected if my understanding is wrong.

- Balaji

Hi Balaji,

Thanks for your compliment and feedback on the serial numbering. The letter on the right end is usually known as suffix. Some of the world notes have both prefix and suffix lettering as in USA banknotes, Taiwan, Japan etc. I was told that for Argentina banknotes, the first two numbers stand for the prefix. Need more input on this. Anyone ? Thanks.

Archived