CoinPeople.com

Another new acquisition

bobh

Nice to have one raw, and UNC at that:

http://www.stacks.com/lotdetail.aspx?lsid=...&lotno=1456

:ninja:

I was looking at it, and then looking at it even more and still could not decide if I want to go for it or not. I was concerned with what looked like multiple dings around the coin's periphery. How do they look in person? Anyway, congratulations, it is certainly an excellent coin.

So, I got that one instead at another auction:

Denga

(...I know it's only a denga but I like it, like it, yes, I do...)

I was looking at it, and then looking at it even more and still could not decide if I want to go for it or not. I was concerned with what looked like multiple dings around the coin's periphery. How do they look in person? Anyway, congratulations, it is certainly an excellent coin.

Yes, I noticed that, too ... but they seem like very small disturbances. It is very seldom that you find these coins with perfect edges. I believe these things are typical for the series and probably are more the result of the edging process. Another reason might be the long transport paths taken to distribute them across Russia and the resulting rough handling they received by throwing around the bags of coins loading and unloading them onto trains, carriages, etc. I'm quite sure that the roads in 1913 were no better than they are today in some parts of Russia! ;)

I won't be seeing the coin too soon, unfortunately, because I am having it shipped to an address in the USA. My biggest worry is that it might actually be 1913-BC instead of ЭБ -- by the time I will be able to check, I probably won't be able to return it if it was misrepresented. But Stack's is a reputable auction house, and the description was quite clear.

So, I got that one instead at another auction:

Denga

(...I know it's only a denga but I like it, like it, yes, I do...)

:ninja: That's a beauty! You got a good price for it, too (IMHO).

• 5 months later...

After a trip to the USA over the last 2 weeks, I was able to take back some coins which I had had sent to my Mom's address. Among them was this 1913-EB poltina from the April 2010 Stack's auction:

RUSSIA_50k_1913_EB_ex_Stacks_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_50k_1913_EB_ex_Stacks_rev.thumb.jpg

RUSSIA_50k_1913_EB_ex_Stacks_edge.thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, the edge is worse than it looked on the Stack's photos. :( But the coin is very well struck and otherwise in marvelous shape! I'm quite happy with my purchase overall. :)

Archived