CoinPeople.com

My New Anglo Saxon Penny

FrankVenn

Hi people,

I've just joined the forum and don't really know what I'm doing so this is sort of an introduction.

I'm 16 years old from the UK and I collect Anglo-Saxon Silver.

I recently bought this Anglo-Saxon Aethelred II penny.

I believe this particular coin dates from 997-1003, if anyone could tell me ANYTHING else about this coin that would be great!

15ojfwl.jpg

fappo1.jpg

Welcome, Frank! You've joined a fantastic forum. We've got several people here that collect hammered coins like your own. Expect some good responses as the sun comes up.

It's an Aethelred II Longcross penny. Minted at London by Æthelweard. The legend on the reverse reads "+EDE LPER DMO LVND". This issue was indeed minted from the year 997 until 1003.

Thanks for the replys guys, its good to be in a community like this. :ninja:

I have sort have figured that I can't afford to collect Anglo-Saxon silver pennies as I'm only 16 years old so I might start collecting Elizabeth I hammered. If anyone else would have any other ideas on what I could collect that would be cool.

Being sixteen should not stop you from collecting Anglo-Saxon, it certainly did not stop me!

As for other areas, perhaps something like Henry III's Voided Longcross or the coinage of Edward I?

Being sixteen should not stop you from collecting Anglo-Saxon, it certainly did not stop me!

As for other areas, perhaps something like Henry III's Voided Longcross or the coinage of Edward I?

I collected that stuff a while back, lost interest quickly..probably because its so common and easy to buy. I think Anglo Saxon coinage is beautiful but as I said I am only 16 and I can't really afford to collect it. I have quite a large collection of mixed coins..Roman, Celtic, Medieval Hammered etc but I want to condense it and collect one particular period. My dad said I should focus on one king and get the same coin in every mint but I'm not sure.

I have enough money for a couple more Anglo-Saxon pennies. I'm looking particularly for Cnut and Edward The Confessor, have around £500 to spend, but then I'd have nothing left!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Take your time. Look long and hard for what you want. Enjoy the search and learning along the way. Examine as many coins as you can't afford as possible so you learn now. You will have better collecting budgets as you get older and will be better positioned to spend them well based on what you can learn now. I've had the opportunity to hold many rare pieces over the years that I will never be able to afford (an 1804 silver dollar, a 1913 Liberty nickel, etc.) and the thrill is almost as great as actually owning the pieces. Pick what you like and be patient.

Take your time. Look long and hard for what you want. Enjoy the search and learning along the way. Examine as many coins as you can't afford as possible so you learn now. You will have better collecting budgets as you get older and will be better positioned to spend them well based on what you can learn now. I've had the opportunity to hold many rare pieces over the years that I will never be able to afford (an 1804 silver dollar, a 1913 Liberty nickel, etc.) and the thrill is almost as great as actually owning the pieces. Pick what you like and be patient.

Thanks for the advice Bill.

If you get enjoyment out of Anglo-Saxon era stuff then I say stick with it. There's no point collecting stuff that doesn't do anything for you merely because you can afford them easier. If you like the earlier stuff and you can buy the earlier stuff then go for it. Sure you may not be able to buy anything else once you've got them for a while, maybe a considerable while (I remember being 16) but money is like the seasons it comes round again and you can pick up where you left off. The best piece of advice i'd give any collector is simply be patient, it is, to be fair, the hardest piece of advice to follow at times as you might feel like your collection is going no where fast. However, if you do hold out you'll have a better collection for it in a few years from now. Well that's my advice anyhow.

If you get enjoyment out of Anglo-Saxon era stuff then I say stick with it. There's no point collecting stuff that doesn't do anything for you merely because you can afford them easier. If you like the earlier stuff and you can buy the earlier stuff then go for it. Sure you may not be able to buy anything else once you've got them for a while, maybe a considerable while (I remember being 16) but money is like the seasons it comes round again and you can pick up where you left off. The best piece of advice i'd give any collector is simply be patient, it is, to be fair, the hardest piece of advice to follow at times as you might feel like your collection is going no where fast. However, if you do hold out you'll have a better collection for it in a few years from now. Well that's my advice anyhow.

Thats the best bit of advice I've been given, thanks!

Archived