CoinPeople.com

Would these be considered Die Cracks or Die Gouges?

Hello,

I'm still new to the world of coin collecting. I was searching through a box of Canadian Pennies and I found these two coins (both US Lincolns). I was wondering if they would be Die Cracks or Die Gouges...or something else all together. I tried to take the pics through a 45X microscope loupe...I hope the quality is OK.

1983 Lincoln Cent top right corner of building. I'm not sure if the the crack continues along the last column or not:

diecrack01.jpg

This 1983 Lincoln has two different errors. Top left corner of building:

diecrack02.jpg

and bottom left corner of steps:

diecrack02B.jpg

Any info on if they would be considered crack or gouges would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Tim - cladhunter13

They look like die cracks to me. Always fun to find. :ninja:

Thank you for the response. Would you be able to recommend any online material for reading up on die cracks and gouges? I have checked: Online error coin refrence guide by Matt Dinger (Lost Dutchman) on these forums. Very helpful for many different errors but not for die cracks or gouges. Also...do die cracks offer any premium to a coins value?

Thank you again for the response and any other info.

Tim - cladhunter13

http://www.coppercoins.com is always a good place to start.

Some can carry a premium, but unless it's a spectacular die crack, it will not be much. There are no die crack or die gouge guides that I know of, just error and coin information sites that will help you on your way. Also Walter Breen's guides are useful when talking about die variation.

http://www.coppercoins.com is always a good place to start.

Some can carry a premium, but unless it's a spectacular die crack, it will not be much. There are no die crack or die gouge guides that I know of, just error and coin information sites that will help you on your way. Also Walter Breen's guides are useful when talking about die variation.

Thank you again for the information. Will check out where you recommend. There is a lot of information to take in as I progress in the hobby. Having a blast.

If you dont mind...maybe you can answer a question for me. I'm trying to figure out a good loupe to use in this hobby. I purchased the 45X microscope loupe online, very cheap off ebay. It works great but you can not see the hole coin at once and is not the easiest for inspecting a large quantity of coins in a timely manner. I then purchased a 2 loupe set 10X and 15X. When I received them they are both garbage. Looked good on ebay...LOL! Is there a particular power/size/style of loupe that you would recommend. I have been looking from 10X - 40X single glass lens jewelers lighted loupes. Just dont want to purchase another useless item.

Thank you,

Tim - cladhunter13

Like VFox said most die cracks don't carry a premium. But some get special attention just because of placement. In the morgan VAM world unless it makes it to cud (A section broken off.) it won't be mentioned except maybe as late die state. That being said I like die cracks. I have two almost identical morgan dollars. Because of the same crack on it you can tell which one was minted first.

Like VFox said most die cracks don't carry a premium. But some get special attention just because of placement. In the morgan VAM world unless it makes it to cud (A section broken off.) it won't be mentioned except maybe as late die state. That being said I like die cracks. I have two almost identical morgan dollars. Because of the same crack on it you can tell which one was minted first.

Funny that you mentioned that about the same crack on the Morgans. I was checking another set of 1983 Canada Pennies tonight and fond another with the exact 2 die cracks as the other 2 crack penny I found. On the new one the cracks are not as noticeable but under magnification you can see them. The more pronounced the crack is later in the minting process then the less noticeable one? Kinda cool I found a clipped planchet and 2 die cracks in a box. Keeps me interested. :ninja:

Thank you all for the info. Have a great day.

Tim - cladhunter13

Archived