CoinPeople.com

My New Website

Rhino

Very nice site! I have 20 rubles in 1917, 40 rubles in 1917, 250 rubles in 1917 ...

I have a bill of 5000 rubles in 1919 in southern Russia. Do you know anything about this bill?

Do you know the story of swastikas on the banknotes of 250 rubles in 1917 and 1000 rubles in 1917?

M_M_RUSYA_5000_RUBLE_1919_CIL_CILALTI_PS419__20806040_0.jpg

Very nice site! I have 20 rubles in 1917, 40 rubles in 1917, 250 rubles in 1917 ...

I have a bill of 5000 rubles in 1919 in southern Russia. Do you know anything about this bill?

Do you know the story of swastikas on the banknotes of 250 rubles in 1917 and 1000 rubles in 1917?

The story of the swastikas is explained on my site actually, check the section about the 250 and 1000 rubles of 1917. I pointed out where they were and how they are not connected to the swastika used by Nazi Germany. Check it out :ninja:

The Southhern Russia note is just a regional note that I also have, I probably won't focus on those on my site since there's too many regions to cover.

Ok finally moved house and got time to rest.

Here's one awful picture as I threw out my lamps by accident while moving... (very smart) so bear with me.

5ruble.jpg

I don't remember seeing banknotes with the same block number? ;)

It's not too common to be able to find multiple notes with the same block number, but it happens. Your YB-421 notes are all Soviet issues (not provisional) that were printed with the serial number modified to show only the series number that the notes came from, they mass-printed those. Normally you might have had serial numbers like 421(1234), 421(4321), 421(5347), and so on, but they just consolidated it to only show the series number that the note came from. So you could end up having notes with "identical" serials. Cool find :ninja:

The notes you have on the left with the long serial numbers, both of those are Imperial Shipov 5 Rubles, used sometime 1912-1917 before the Provisional Government came into power. Keep those 3 of the same serial ;) I don't actively look to make a string of identical bills like that, but I would definitely keep them if they happened to land in my collection.

Rhino, what's the maximum number of banknotes that was printed on the same block number?

I haven't seen any figures on that, even my Russian resources don't list how many were printed :ninja: but I can give you an idea:

The Soviet 5 Ruble notes of this type had very specific serials. Only 5 Ruble notes with block numbers YA-044 to YA-200 , and YB-401 to YB-510 were Soviet ones. So the Soviets only had about 257 serial numbers to work with as far as we know. Without knowing how many they printed, we can't know how many notes were printed per block number, but if you take a number like 500,000 notes printed (just as an example), you are looking at about 2000 notes with the same block number.

So when you have 3 of the same one, it's not too common, but then it's not rare at the same time. It's kind of like rolling the same number on dice 3 times in a row.

By the way gxseries, I just took a look at your website with the sets you are working on - WOW , great coins on there.

I noticed the 50 Kopek from 1923 (it was a paper issue) - you wrote above it "1923 Fantasy"? I always thought that it was circulated, I have 2 books that have a picture of it as part of the 1923 issue. Or did you name it "fantasy" because no coin exists for that year? I'm still trying to find one of those for my collection :ninja:

• 4 months later...

Archived