CoinPeople.com

Double Date or MAchine Doubling? Also a second coin ID please.

cladhunter13

Hello all. Coin roll hunting 2 boxes of Canadian pennies. After sorting them all out. I had around 35 pre 1960 coins. Oldest is 2 x 1940. Once I sorted by the decades I search each decade and re-roll as I go. While searching with my 4X magnifying glass (bought a 45X loupe today on ebay) here are 2 interesting finds. I still have the 1990's and 2000's to go. ACK!!

First coin is a double date or machine doubling? Since I have never seen one before besides the major date ones in pictures...I'm not exactly sure what this is. None of the books I have says anything about a DD for this year of coin. The doubling is on the lat 9 and the last A in CANADA on its right side.

1979double9andAback.jpg[/img]

I also found this coin. Looks like it was either struck several times or was in contact with other coins while they were struck. Notice the beading on the left ridge and lettering on the first zero.

2003overstrikepennyback.jpg[/img]

This is the other side of the same coin. Notice the lettering on the left ridge and the denticles(?) or reeding(?) on the top ridge.

2003overstrikepennyfront.jpg

Let me know what you all think of the coins? Common errors? Any value to them? I'm curious and willing to learn.

Thank you,

cladhunter13

I'm not very well read on errors or what causes them, but I will try to help.

The first one I think is just a doubled 9. Doubling on dates or parts of dates happened fairly often on various 1950-1980 pennies, but not consistently enough within any one year to warrant space for a variety in the book. I've seen quite a few ICCS graded pennies with that kind of doubling.

As for the second, are the beads at 9 o'clock on the reverse in relief or incuse? By the pics it looks like they are incuse (go into the coin), perhaps from a brockage, which was then restruck with a regular die? I'd check out Matt's (LostDutchman) excellent errors guide (http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showforum=227) to try to make sense out of it.

Archived