CoinPeople.com

An ordinary (?) 1901 Rouble

altyn

I am puzzled: link

The coin (in XF?) is an ordinary 1901 rouble (FZ on the edge, A2 type obverse, Kazakov 225) which was sold for $713. I must be missing something very important.

A 1903 rouble from the same seller went for ~$600 (link). I can understand that (but barely).

I am puzzled:

The coin (in XF?) is an ordinary 1901 rouble (FZ on the edge, A2 type obverse, Kazakov 225) which was sold for $713. I must be missing something very important.

A 1903 rouble from the same seller went for ~$600. I can understand that (but barely).

I do not have a copy of Kazakov but there are two obverse hubs for the 1901 FZ rouble.

This is the second hub, the same as used for the 1901 AP rouble. Whether this is the

reason for the high price I cannot say.

RWJ

1901 is in collectible condition according the picture very well performed, which was probably tempted the buyer to pay high bucks,

1903 is the one which is rare but condition is low :ninja:

Probably the bidders were simply carried away, this can happen easily.

The same 1901 type, but in MS61, was sold at the Heritage 3005 auction for $700, and at the January NY sale in AU55 for $450.

With respect to the two types of the portrait, both types seem to be at the same price level.

1901 is in collectible condition according the picture very well performed, which was probably tempted the buyer to pay high bucks,

1903 is the one which is rare but condition is low :ninja:

the way the 1901 was photographed on a picture can easyly bit MS-61 ;)

Archived