CoinPeople.com

help

gareth

digital camera, not the best though only 5.2 megapixel.

For the basic setup for most document photography you would use a “copy stand” or “light box”. But don’t let those names scare you, they are easy to make. It does not have to be fancy and it is usually made of a flat surface, camera, and two lights?

For the surface I would use a non-reflective, black background. I would put a reference grid or a line on the background to make it easier to line up the banknote each time.

Set the camera on a tripod or a stand so that it can be moved into place and keep it steady while you do test shots or swapping out notes during the shoot

To reduce the glare, use two equal bright lights on opposite sides of the camera, set at the same distance and set at 45 degrees from the banknote along the line of the banknote to the camera. Turn off flash. (It really does not have to be precise)

Do not keep the banknote in the sleeve.

I like to lay the paper down flat and have the camera right above the document. With lights left and right.

That is the basic setup for most document photography. The rest depends on the camera, the computer, and the editing software. Which sorry, because of the variations of cameras, computers, and editing software, you would have to read the manuals for each.

But basically you would plug camera into computer move or copy your pictures from camera to computer then edit them if needed.

I find scanning to be best unless the note is to big to be scanned. depending on numbers using the camera could be very time consuming and take up a lot of space while setup.

I put a purple card in the scanner and use is as my background this way if i scan white bordered notes i can easily see the edge, i used to use black card however I have quite a few notes with black borders and this didnt work very well.

The cheapest new scanner you can get will scan notes very well, in Australia you can pick up all in one printer scanner copiers for about $50AUD on special (about $80-90 otherwise) I dont know what they would cost where you are.

I find scanning to be best unless the note is to big to be scanned. depending on numbers using the camera could be very time consuming and take up a lot of space while setup.

I put a purple card in the scanner and use is as my background this way if i scan white bordered notes i can easily see the edge, i used to use black card however I have quite a few notes with black borders and this didnt work very well.

The cheapest new scanner you can get will scan notes very well, in Australia you can pick up all in one printer scanner copiers for about $50AUD on special (about $80-90 otherwise) I dont know what they would cost where you are.

I agree, a scanner is the easier way to go.

Archived