CoinPeople.com

1840 3/4 Rouble 5 Zlot

Rhino

In question is a 1840 3/4 Rouble 5 Zlot coin... This is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Russia-Rubel-3-4-5-z-o...=item4a9c3cb7bd

;) My suspicions are all about the edge: The spot where the "61" should be looks more like a "51", the spot where "23/25" has a weird-looking "25" and no slash in between, and the Russian letter "D" in "Dol" does NOT look like a normal "D", but more like a pi (3.14) sign...

But seller says "100% genuine"...

Opinions? :ninja:

It's hard to tell if it is or not from these photos. Nothing about it screams counterfeit, but then again they are getting better and better at making them. My concern is the grainy appearance around the wreath on the reverse in the image you flipped over. I cannot tell if that is film-grain or raised metal from a pitted (and then likely counterfeit) die.

It's hard to tell if it is or not from these photos. Nothing about it screams counterfeit, but then again they are getting better and better at making them. My concern is the grainy appearance around the wreath on the reverse in the image you flipped over. I cannot tell if that is film-grain or raised metal from a pitted (and then likely counterfeit) die.

That might just be my picture, but the original un-flipped one is a higher-grade picture.

In question is a 1840 3/4 Rouble 5 Zlot coin... This is the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/Russia-Rubel-3-4-5-z-o...=item4a9c3cb7bd

My suspicions are all about the edge: The spot where the "61" should be looks more like a "51", the spot where "23/25" has a weird-looking "25" and no slash in between, and the Russian letter "D" in "Dol" does NOT look like a normal "D", but more like a pi (3.14) sign... But seller says "100% genuine"... Opinions?

I see see nothing out of the ordinary here. The letter D on the edge (in Dolyas)

appears normal considering it is along the edge. The numerals also appear to

be the usual quality for this period.

The above comments do not mean to say that the piece is definitely genuine,

merely that I see nothing to say otherwise.

RWJ

Archived